Saturday, June 16, 2012

DIY Outdoor Chair Project

I don't do this often, but I saw four pretty good looking wicker chairs at a neighbor's house being put on the curb for the trash pickup. They appeared to be in good condition (meaning the wicker was still intact). And, they were still sturdy.

I left to get my sidekick (a.k.a. my hubby) for his opinion and we came home with them a few minutes later. We found out from the original owner that the chairs came from Pier 1, and she just did not want to take the time to refinish them.

These are the original chairs. The white paint was chipping off pretty bad, but we knew that was fixable. I took a steel bristle brush to all of the chairs to get rid of all the loose bits of paint. Then I cleaned them good to loosen any additional bits of paint.

Next was the big decision...what color should we paint these? We used Rust-Oleum's 2X Painter's Touch Gloss in Colonial Red.

Yes, I said Red! We are thrilled with how they turned out!

The last step was selecting some cushions for the chairs. After checking several locations, we ended up back at Pier 1 and found the Angelique Foam Dining cushion and a yellow lumbar cushion to finish off the look.

Now on to the glider....

1 comment: